Report on failed European Mars lander concludes brief, unexpected spin to blame

Probe hit the Martian ground at 540 km/h The Associated Press Posted: May 24, 2017 2:55 PM ET Last Updated: May 24, 2017 2:55 PM ET Related Stories An independent report has concluded that Europe’s Schiaparelli probe crash-landed on Mars last year because its systems couldn’t cope with a brief, wild rotation during its descent. The report commissioned by the ...

Read More »

Zika virus hit earlier than thought in Brazil, Florida, genome tests reveal

Studies using gene sequencing equipment to trace the path of Zika through the Americas show the virus arrived a year before the first case was detected in Brazil, and several months before it was first reported in Florida. The findings, published in three different papers in the journal Nature, are drawn from nearly 200 Zika virus genome sequences collected from infected individuals and mosquitoes that transmit the virus. Collectively, ...

Read More »

Graco recalls My Ride 65 car seats in Canada for restraint defect

Graco’s Canadian division is recalling 1,393 car seats with defective harness restraints. The recall affects certain “My Ride 65” model car seats manufactured between May 14, 2014 and July 30, 2014, according to a safety advisory from Graco. The recalled seats have the following model numbers, which can be found on a tag underneath or on the back of the ...

Read More »

Coffee roaster Kicking Horse sold to Italy’s Lavazza

Italian coffee conglomerate Lavazza has bought an 80 per cent stake in British Columbia-based Kicking Horse Coffee in a deal that values the company at $215 million. Elana Rosenfeld, who co-founded the Kicking Horse brand in Invermere, B.C. in 1996, will continue to own the remaining 20 per cent and will stay on as CEO of the company, which has grown to become ...

Read More »

OPEC nearing deal to extend oil output cut to March 2018

OPEC and non-member oil producers moved closer on Wednesday to clinching a deal on extending output cuts by nine months to clear a global stocks overhang and prop up the price of crude. The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries meets in Vienna on Thursday to consider whether to prolong the accord reached in December in which OPEC and 11 ...

Read More »

Top Gun 2 is ‘definitely happening,’ says Tom Cruise

New Cruise and original producer Jerry Bruckheimer have been dropping hints The Associated Press Posted: May 24, 2017 1:02 PM ET Last Updated: May 24, 2017 1:20 PM ET Related Stories The Danger Zone may have gotten old and dusty, but Tom Cruise says he’s about to fly back in. The 54-year-old actor says the long-discussed sequel to Top Gun is ...

Read More »